This was a 7 storeyed building with about 1000 rooms, built by the King Parakramabahu the Great (1153-1186). It is located in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. This place is considered to be the Palace of King Parakramabahu the Great. The Palace was called as Vijayotpaya or Vijayanta Prasada (the name of the Palace of God Sakra). Since it has consisted of 7 stories, the building also called “Sathbumupaya” (in Sinhala). The remaining huge walls with thickness over one meter and part of stairs and the foundation walls give you an idea about the size of the building.
The large holes can be seen in walls probably the places where the large wooden beams fixed. The Palace may have been destroyed by fire during the invasions. In addition to the main building, there are ruins of some minor buildings around it. This site is also listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)