Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi is a Sacred Bo-Tree in the Mahamewna Gardens, Anuradhapura District, North Central Province of Sri Lanka. It is said to be the southern branch of the historical Sri Maha Bodhi at Buddha Gaya in India under which Lord Buddha attained Enlightenment. Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi was brought to Sri Lanka by the Theri Sangamitta, daughter of Emperor Asoka and was planted in the Mahamewna Gardens in Anuradhapura in 288 BC by King Devanampiyatissa.
Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi is the oldest living human-planted tree in the world with a known planting date. Today it is one of the most sacred relics of the Buddhists in Sri Lanka and respected by Buddhists all over the world.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)