Menik Vehera is an ancient monastery located in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. The history of this place is not known. However, according to the architectural features, it is assumed to belong to the 8-9 centuries A.D. This monastery consists of a Stupa, image houses, a Bodhi – tree shrine, refectory, monk’s dispensary and cells. The stupa here is of a rare type, which is built on a high terrace surrounded by a high wall. There is a carved stone door-frame at the entrance to the Stupa.
This monastery is unnoticed by many of the visitors who visit the Polonnaruwa archaeological site. It is located closer to the Northern Gate. You can identify the Northern Gate (see the image below) by the ruins of small chambers considered to be the guardrooms located on either side of the road.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)