Yala National Park lies within Monaragala District of Uva Province and Hambanthota District of Southern Province. The park covers about 979 km2 and one side is bounded by South East coast of Sri Lanka. The park was first declared as as a protected area in 1900 and it was gazetted as National Park in 25th February 1938.
The entrance to the Yala National Park is located in Tissamaharama. There are many tour companies who operate jeep safari at Yala and visitors can select suitable one.
This area is characterized by semi-arid thorn scrub habitat. However it has been modified by human activities making it a secondary forest of few hundred years old.
The main species of the park are mammals such as elephant, wild buffalo, spotted deer etc… There are variety of bird species are also present. However, depending on the environment the species are vary in different regions of the park.
- Department of Wildlife Conservation
- National Parks declared in Sri Lanka
- Nearby Locations
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)