This picturesque loca Read more [...]
The Moragahakanda Reservoir is the largest reservoir of the Mahaweli project. The Moragahakanda Dam is a high gravity dam with a height of 65 meters. The dam has created the Moragahakanda Reservoir, which has an active storage capacity of 521,000,000 cubic meters and is four times bigger than the gigantic Parakrama Samudraya in Polonnaruwa.
The main viewpoint of and the dam can be easily accessed via Naula – Elahara – Pallegama – Hettipola (B312) road which is starting from Naula on Kandy – Jaffna (A009) road. The reservoir mainly belongs to the Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province.
You can also access this reservoir via Matale – Illukkumbura-Pallegama (B274) road which is the road traverse through Knuckles Conservation Forest. And also this is the only road for famous destinations, Riverston, Pitawala Pathana, Mini World’s End, Bambarakiri Ella etc… However, at present, the road is narrow and poor in condition.
A large number of local tourists are attracted to this place to see this giant dam and eye-catching surrounding. The main viewpoint of the reservoir provides a panoramic view of the reservoir. The area is also planned to develop as several tourist destinations as a part of this project.
- Moragahakanda: Largest Reservoir at Work from Tomorrow – Sunday Observer
- Moragahakanda-Kaluganga Project: Drinking Water for Northern People – Sunday Observer
- කඳුරට වතුරටික උතුරට හැරවීම තවත් අර්බුදයක ආරම්භයද – ලංකාදීප
- වළදමන්නට තැත් කළ ව්යාපෘතියක මල් පීදීම
- මොරගහකන්ද – කළුගග ජලාශ ව්යාපෘතිය හා එහි අනාගත බලාපොරොත්තු – Roar