Kaudulla National Park was designated as a national park on April 1, 2002. It is located in the Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province Sri Lanka. The park is spread over 6,900 hectares. You can reach the park by Ambepussa – Kurunegala – Trincomalee highway and it is around 190km away from Colombo. The Minneriya National Park, another park where you will find the Elephants in large numbers are also located close to this park. However, Kaudulla is less crowded compared to Minneriya and therefore some tourists prefer to visit Kaudulla.
Kaudulla is another great place to see elephants in their natural habits. Around September is the best time to go on safari in the Kaudulla National Park. During this period elephants move to the Kaudulla tank in search of water and food. The safari jeeps are arranged both morning and evening. The morning safari is started around 6:00 AM and evening safari is started around 3:00 PM.
In addition to the elephants, Sri Lankan sambar deer, Sri Lankan axis deer, chevrotain, wild boar, Sri Lankan leopard, and sloth bear are other mammals found in the park.
It is better to stay around Minneriya & Habarana City area if you wish to go on the morning safari, and you can ask safari jeeps to pick up you from your accommodation. Click here to find a list of accommodations around Minneriya, Sri Lanka.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Baddhasima Prasadaya is the Pohoyageya or Uposathagharaya (Chapter House) of the monks of Alahana Piriwena where they rehearsed the codes of discipline (Especially CHECK IT OUT
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)