Buduruwagala is an ancient Buddhist temple located in Monaragala District of Uva Province, Sri Lanka. The Sinhalese name “Buduruwagala” has the meaning of “the rock of Buddhist Sculpture”. As the name suggests, the main attraction of this site is the rock with seven statues including the tallest standing Buddha statue in Sri Lanka.
The standing Buddha image sculptured at the center is 51 feet tall, making it the tallest in Sri Lanka. On the right of the Standing Buddha image are the sculptures of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisatva, Goddess Tara, Prince Sudhana and on the left are the sculptures of Maitree Bodhisatva, Vajrapani Bodhisatva and an unidentifiable deity. These sculptures could be identified as a collection of the Buddha and Bodhisatva figures with Mahayana influence.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)