The Maligavila sacred place is famous for its giant free-standing Buddha Statue belongs to 7th century. It is located in the Monaragala District of Uva Province, Sri Lanka. According to the ancient chronicle Chulavamsa, the Statue has been made by a Prince named Aggabodhi. The Buddha statue is 14.5m tall and it has carved out of a single limestone. Initially, there had been an image house surrounding this statue and the foundation of it can still be seen today.
At about 500 m to the southeast, there is another statue called Dambegoda Bodhisattva Statue. According to the Mahavamsa, this statue has been created by the King Dappula I in the 7th Century. This statue also identified as the statue of Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara Natha as well as Mathrinatha.
Enter your location in the search box below the Map to get the direction to this place.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)