Gal Potha (Stone Book) is a giant stone inscription located in the Dalada Maluwa premises of main archaeological site in Polonnaruwa District, Sri Lanka. It is a work of King Nissankamalla (1187-1196) and it is the largest stone inscription discovered so far. The inscription itself tells that this large stone was transported from Minintale, some hundred kilometers away from Polonnaruwa. It describes the genealogy, heroic and altruistic deed of King Nissankamalla. The letters of the inscription were embossed with molten iron. The figure of the woman on the side face of the stone on whom two elephants are sprinkling water has been identified as Goddess Gajalakshmi (Goddess of Prosperity).
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Velaikkara Inscription is an ancient inscription carved on a stone located in the Dalada Maluwa premises of main archaeological site in CHECK IT OUT
- According to the inscriptions found, this pillared structure has identified as the Nissanka Latha Mandapaya. It is located in the CHECK IT OUT
- Polonnaruwa Vatadage belongs to the Polonnaruwa Kingdom. It is a structure which is built encircling the stupa for protection. It CHECK IT OUT
- This image house is located in the Dalada Maluwa premises in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. Although CHECK IT OUT
- This Hindu Shrine is located in the archaeological site of Polonnaruwa, in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. The ancient name CHECK IT OUT
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)