The Velaikkaras rebelled against King Vijayabahu (1055 – 1110 A.D.) in his 30th year refusing to fight against the Colas and they were punished. It seems that Velaikkaras provided protection to the Temple of Tooth even during the early period of Viajayabahu due to the mention of construction of some building by them around the Temple of Tooth. Perhaps after the rebellion, they were removed beings the guards of the Temple of Tooth. After the death of Vijayabahu, there were several internal struggles and it is very likely that Mugalan Thera decided to engage Velaikkara forces again, for the protection of the Tooth Relic and the Bowl Relic of the Buddha, during the turbulent period. The purpose of this inscription is to give an assurance by the Velaikkara soldiers that they would protect the sacred relics and the properties no matter what happened.
~ Department of Archaeology | Ministry of National Heritage ~
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- According to the inscriptions found, this pillared structure has identified as the Nissanka Latha Mandapaya. It is located in the CHECK IT OUT
- Gal Potha (Stone Book) is a giant stone inscription located in the Dalada Maluwa premises of main archaeological site in CHECK IT OUT
- Polonnaruwa Vatadage belongs to the Polonnaruwa Kingdom. It is a structure which is built encircling the stupa for protection. It CHECK IT OUT
- This image house is located in the Dalada Maluwa premises in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. Although CHECK IT OUT
- This Hindu Shrine is located in the archaeological site of Polonnaruwa, in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. The ancient name CHECK IT OUT
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)