According to the inscriptions found, this pillared structure has identified as the Nissanka Latha Mandapaya. It is located in the place known as Dalada Maluwa in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. This building was constructed by the King Nissankamalla (1187-1196 A.D.). According to an inscription, this is the place where the King Nissankamalla listened to Pirith Chanting (a recitation or chanting of the word of the Lord Buddha).
The building is surrounded by a stone railing and the entrance is also protected by a stone doorway. The stone pillars in this building are a unique design. These pillars are not straight and they are carved in three places. The top of the pillars takes the shape of a lotus bud. And the rest of the pillars have carved as the stem of the flower. There is a small stone Stupa (truncated top, perhaps to receive the relic casket during Pirith chanting) on the center of the platform in the middle of the building. It is believed that the roof of the building was done with wood.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Velaikkara Inscription is an ancient inscription carved on a stone located in the Dalada Maluwa premises of main archaeological site in CHECK IT OUT
- Polonnaruwa Vatadage belongs to the Polonnaruwa Kingdom. It is a structure which is built encircling the stupa for protection. It CHECK IT OUT
- Gal Potha (Stone Book) is a giant stone inscription located in the Dalada Maluwa premises of main archaeological site in CHECK IT OUT
- This image house is located in the Dalada Maluwa premises in Polonnaruwa District of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. Although CHECK IT OUT
- This Hindu Shrine is located in the archaeological site of Polonnaruwa, in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. The ancient name CHECK IT OUT
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)