The tank has been built by constructing a dam across Minneriya River. The dam is about 2 km in length with the maximum height of 21.34m. The tank covered an area of 4,670 acres and it receives Mahaweli water through Elahera Giant Canal.
Because of this giant construction and its usefulness to the irrigation and agriculture, the countrymen regarded the king as a god and he was named as Minneri Deviyo (God of Minneriya). A Devale dedicated to the Minneri Deviyo still survives on the dam of Minneriya Tank.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Nearby Locations
- Baddhasima Prasadaya is the Pohoyageya or Uposathagharaya (Chapter House) of the monks of Alahana Piriwena where they rehearsed the codes of discipline (Especially CHECK IT OUT
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)